Team Lightning's primary mission is to get you involved in a more active lifestyle, but more importantly we want to help you appreciate the beauty our natural environment as part of these adventures. You can do just that by participating in our 9.5-mile canoe float down the beautiful Harpeth River, while helping to pick up litter and tires along the way!
This event is in partnership with local Nashville band Roots of a Rebellion!
Bring Own Boat (Shuttle): $10 for the shuttle of your canoe, and registration is required. Kayaks are strongly discouraged.
Trip Leader: Courtney Christl & Austin from Roots of a Rebellion
Difficulty: This is a beginner-friendly event. Paddling experience is recommended but not required. Swimming experience highly encourage. Life jackets are provided with boat rentals. The Harpeth is a calm river, but does have "class 1" rapids during high water levels. This float will take approximately 5-6 hours, depending on how littered the river is.
Group Size Limit: This trip is limited to 8 participants for free boat renting, with additional space for 10 more participants bringing their own private boat.
Registration Deadline: Online registration closes on Wednesday, March 28th at 3pm
Parking: There is plenty of parking at Foggy Bottom Canoe.
Children Policy: This is a family-friendly event for ages 4 and over with parental supervision. Life vests are provided for all participants ages 4 and up with canoe rental. Children under the age of 13 must be accompanied in the boat by an adult over the age of 18. Children under the age of 10 can sit in the middle of the boat and help collect trash.
Dog Policy: Friendly Dogs on leashes, who have prior experience in boats, are welcome!
Weather Policy: This is a rain or shine event. We will wait out any thunderstorms along the banks if the storms are scattered. In the event of severe weather, this trip will be postponed.
Cancellation Policy: Please email TeamLightning@Lightning100.com.
ABOUT THE EVENT
We'll float down the "Kingston Springs Ball Park to Hwy 70 Bridge" route down the Harpeth River for approximately 5 miles of beginner-friendly floating, swimming, and community service! The average paddle time is normally around 2-3 hours, however since we'll be picking up trash along the way (and also swimming and generally having fun), this float may take 4-5 hours instead!
As a whole, the goal is to stay mostly together as a group, be off the river/unloading trash by 3pm, and back to our cars, heading home by 4pm.
Be sure to bring:
- A cooler with snacks and refreshments. Be sure to have a bungie cord around the cooler in case you overturn your boat!
- Trash bags and gloves, if you're interested in cleaning up along the river (we'll have some extras)
- Your Team Lightning shirt if you have one!
- Full Canoe: If you want to sign up for a full boat, just register for two individual spots! We will group up in boats when we arrive.
- Individual (Share boat): Don't know anyone going on the trip? No worries! Here's a great way to meet someone! If you plan to come alone and would like to share a canoe with another Team Lightning participant, this is a great option for you. Register for an individual spot and we will pair you up when we arrive!
- Bring own boat ($10 for Shuttle): If you already have your own canoe or kayak and want to paddle with Team Lightning, Foggy Bottom Canoe is offering to shuttle your boat for $10 to participants who have their own boat.
Registration is required, email TeamLightning@Lightning100.com with any questions!