Home » About Us » YP Nashville History
About YP Nashville
Mission of YP Nashville:
YP Nashville is a partnership between the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce and young professional organizations working to engage, connect and empower young professionals to actively shape the future of the Nashville region.
The goal of YP Nashville is to connect young professionals to diverse opportunities for networking, professional development and community involvement. YPNashville.org is the place for young professionals who want to get involved and make a difference in their companies and our community. We invite you to access our list of area young professional organizations. We're sure that, with the variety of groups and missions, you'll find at least one -- and probably more -- that match your interests.
History of YP Nashville:
In 2000, the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce began looking at the importance of YPs and what qualities attract YPs to our region.
- The long-term prosperity of the region is reliant on attracting and retaining a strong representation of young professionals in our workforce.
- The Nashville area's economy is among the most diverse of that in any U.S. region. As a result, Nashville continues to attract the highest-quality young professional workers in all business sectors, and "smart companies follow smart people."
- It is important to create an environment where YPs get engaged and connected through groups such as the organizations that we partner with.
In 2002, five young professional organizations' presidents and officers began meeting to share ideas and cultivate a mutual understanding and collaboration.
- Though each of the represented organizations maintained a unique mission, they all shared similar challenges and opportunities, much like YP Nashville does today.
- Recognizing that most YP organizations in Middle Tennessee had operated independently without much collaboration in years past, the group realized the value of working together.
In 2005, the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce partnered with these YP organizations.
- We have collaboratively offered community-wide programs and opportunities for YPs across Middle Tennessee, such as this web site, the Nashville Emerging Leader Awards, a series of networking events, a World Café and a mayoral forum.
Today, YP Nashville has grown into a much larger collaboration of nearly 60 young professional organizations in the Nashville area.
- The presidents of organizations that partner with YP Nashville have the opportunity to gather several times each year to collaborate, share ideas, and provide support and leadership to young professionals on a broader scale in Middle Tennessee. They also have the opportunity to meet with community leaders such as Mayor Karl Dean.
- YP Nashville promotes all of the YP organizations' events, spotlights different YPOs each month and provides this unique web site as a source of information and direction for all YPs in our region.
- YP Nashville also hosts between four and six events annually that are open to all young professionals in the area.